July 10, 2023

Abstract Watercolour Painting on Yupo Paper

Although I often create my watercolour paintings on 'Cold Pressed/Not' 100% cotton paper I do like to experiment a little. I'm not sure how I came across Yupo paper, probably a video on YouTube, but I wanted to try it. Yupo 'paper' is actually a bit of a misnomer as it is totally synthetic and made from polypropylene resin. Although some might worry about plastics and the environment, on the other hand Yupo is washable and reusable. 

It's tricky to use as the watercolour paint is not absorbed but skates around quite uncontrollably on the surface, but any disasters can simply be washed away. I decided this was one to stay. 

Mijello 'Mission Gold' paint on Yupo paper

I suppose the trick with Yupo is to select colours that do not turn to mud when mixed together because mix together it will if it is given half a chance. I recall how I applied the paint here and there, quite randomly, then 'gently' blew it around with a hair-dryer. If the hairdryer blows too hard, you'll blow the paint right off the Yupo! Be warned. 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...