July 10, 2023

Doodled Octopus with coloured pencils

I wasn't thinking of an octopus at the time that I doodled this piece of work in my Strathmore drawing journal but decided, once I had finished, that it did remind me of one. I think some people call this kind of doodling 'Neurographic Art' which apparently has two rules (what, rules now for doodling?) which I didn't pay attention to at the time I did it and which rules I shall continue not to pay attention to in future. My art does not have rules.

A Doodled Octopus

Seems that Neurographic Art is supposed to come right from the edges of the paper, consisting of freeform lines connecting the conscious with the subconscious, or something along those doodling lines. 

For this work, I used Faber-Castell's Polychromos pencils and Faber-Castell's Pitt Artist black pen. Sometimes I like a page in my journal to kind of stand alone and so I paste a sheet of Mulberry paper alongside in an appropriate colour. That paper can be painted on, or drawn on with pen or pencil, at a later date if I change my mind. I first did this when I created a drawing in my journal so diabolical that I just had to hide it. I didn't want to rip the entire page out. Clever huh? 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...