July 15, 2023

Doodling in watercolours and pen

I was experimenting when doing this colourful piece of artwork in my Hand-Book journal. I'd seen artists on YouTube videos doing abstract art, cleverly laying down paint in many colours, and it worked out so well for them -  but I thought that my work was boring. Boring until I started outlining in black ink (Faber-Castell Pitt Art pens). It's amazing what the use of a black outline can do to a painting, it drags everything into attention, gives our eyes something to focus on. 

Watercolour doodle with black ink outlines

I started to follow shapes in the watercolours with my pen and it began to resemble countries, borderlines, and then I saw lakes (silver and blue) and mountain ranges (gold). It's amazing what you see, or think you see, when your imagination is kicked into action. I remember when I was a child, staring at the bedroom wallpaper, seeing things that were not there, like faces! 😱 Optical illusions. 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...