July 11, 2023

Watercolour 'Koi Carp Leaping'

I'm not sure what style you would call this painting.  Carp breeding is said to have begun in China but it is the Japanese who have become known for the various breeds of Koi Carp much sought after by collectors. I know how I was inspired to paint it though; there is a channel on YouTube (Eruda Art, also on Facebook) with demonstrations of the most beautiful paintings of this kind, far superior to my own, but I needed to have a go. 

There is a lot going on as you can see. The Koi Carp, the Asian jars and dishes including the Chinese ginger jar (which exists and is something that belonged to my late mother, originally a birthday present from me), the lilies and the lily pad, and the bamboo canes. Behind the leaping carp is a plate from which water is splashing and the carp is staring into a bowl of water in which there are tiny fish. It's not perfect, I know. There is a major flaw which annoys me and which I may try to put right at some point, I refer to the base of the black vase behind the ginger jar. I should have positioned them differently. 

The watercolour brand that I used for this is Mijello Mission Gold. 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...