July 16, 2023

Let There Be Light watercolours

A few years back I created a piece of work which I called Genesis because out of the darkness came full spectrum light. I didn't intend it to be anything remotely biblical but sometimes we see something in a painting quite unexpectedly. However, I was pretty new to watercolours, even more of an amateur than I am now, and I had plastered the black on so thickly it started to flake off 😆 so I painted it again more recently and with more care and a somewhat different approach.  

Let There Be Light watercolour

Genesis 1:3 (King James version) "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

The newer painting, which I call Let There Be Light, I painted using Daniel Smith watercolours. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a photograph of the artwork except for the framed one, and it was only then I noticed the reflections in the glass so I edited out as much as I could in the above image using a free photo editor called Pixlr E. I will leave a link to that website in my external links page you can see on the Home page of this blog.  

Below is the original painting called Genesis. Looking at it, I think it also involved watercolour pencils, I'm not sure. I like it and I still have it, despite the flakiness. 
Genesis painting (2016)
I also changed the Genesis image using the Prisma app, just out of curiosity. They look rather good. Unfortunately, although Prisma used to be free, it no longer is as far as I know. I have included a link to Prisma so you can read about it on the external links page. 
Genesis watercolour painting image converted with Prisma

Genesis watercolour painting image converted with Prisma

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...