July 13, 2023

Watercolour abstract still life 'Vases'

I wanted to do a vibrant painting using watercolours the heavy-handed modern way and I think I cracked it with this one! The colours shout off the paper. There were no objects in front of me when I did it, no set up, just a medley of shapes out of imagination. 

I like it in spite of the obvious errors of judgement. The purple vase on the right has that ridiculous curve at the top, supposedly resembling the top of a vase (or candle or something?) and I really should have just left it square like the others...

...and just look at the shape of the vase in the forefront - the bulge. At least it's not leaning towards the right (or left) as so many of my subjects do if I am not careful. Could I alter it? Would I alter it? No. I think it is things like this that add extra character to a painting. A topic for conversation (and critical abuse). ðŸ˜†

I remember when I did this painting, a year ago now, how I totally messed up the bottom half. See the texture on the red and the black? This was my attempt to conceal a monstrosity which I covered with a white watercolour ground then painted over it. I'm not sure how the texture came about but I think the paint over the ground was skidding around and, to me, it is one of those errors in life that have a happy ending. I love the textures, particularly on the black and it is worth remembering how it happened. 

Lastly, the paint used is Sennelier.

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...