July 15, 2023

Watercolour hair braid on Caribbean beach

I laugh when I think of the circumstances in which I painted this watercolour of a lady having her hair braided on a Caribbean beach. I lived in the Caribbean at the time and came back to the UK on a visit. I was staying in a caravan, and having the habit of getting up at the crack of dawn, I painted it there, in the caravan at about 7 am. It was made from imagination. You'd think I might have imagined some English countryside instead. 

Hair braid on a Caribbean beach
Another thing that always makes me laugh is that, whenever I paint a human, they always seem to have either a wizened arm or a deformed hand. Now, considering I have a healthy arm and hand suspended from both shoulders to look at, for reference...   You get my point, right? 😆

I think I used a small palette of Winsor and Newton pans for this one. It was such a long time ago since I painted it. 


Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...