July 15, 2023

Watercolour tulips - a disaster with potential

I plan to share what I consider my best works and my worst. There are plenty of the latter kicking around the house, still, although I do tear up many and use the reverse side as scrap paper for testing watercolour colours on, their granulating effects, and so on. I think I'd watched a tutorial on 'loose' painting for this one which stimulated me into having a go. For me, it's not a success but there are a couple of bits of it that I like. 

Watercolour tulips
I was throwing paint onto paper with careless abandon - and it shows. I do like the vibrancy shown in a couple of the tulips where there is some detail but I put down the paint so densely that it was beyond saving. I think I might have used this for scrap by now. 

I believe the paints used were Mijello Mission Gold. 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...