August 31, 2023

Creating artwork in a very small space

For the longest time I had nowhere to paint indoors. I could have done it in the living room, but I would have risked getting water or even paint on the carpet, or furniture, knocking something over, and I would have felt compelled to put it all away when done. Then, just this year, I had a 'Eureka!' moment. I have a computer workstation in my bedroom where the keyboard pulls out on a shelf and above it I have a bookcase. I have adapted it for double usage. It doesn't matter so much if I do have an accident in the bedroom and the risk is worth it because I don't have to put anything away. It is better explained in photographs. The first thing I did was remove a shelf from the bookcase and put the desktop pc monitor in its place. 

If I am painting using a reference photo, I can display it on the monitor and enlarge the image as I please. I mention how I do that in this post Creating an art journal - tracing

I have a large, solid, inflexible, drawing board and I put that on top of the workstation cabinet. I can still access the keyboard. I affixed a Daylight Company Slimline 3 Table Lamp/Desk Light, LED 13W, Touch Dimmer by its clamp to the ridge running around the bookcase. 

Small space for artwork
The drawing board is large, as you can see, and it is heavy. If I want more space, I can pull it out part way without it tilting or dislodging in any way. If I want to remove the drawing board completely, if I take a break from painting, it simply slides under the bed. 

Fortunately, much of my collection of art material (some women collect shoes or handbags, my thing is art material) is stored in chests or drawers and so I moved a small bedside table at the side of the computer workstation and stacked the drawers there. The bottom drawers were custom-made for me years ago; the middle drawers are two sets stacked and made by Meeden; and the top is an acrylic cosmetic storage box which I bought via Amazon a couple of years ago.
Small space for artwork
By the way, my home's furniture, like the workstation, is all decorated by me with chalk paint and transfers. I might post about that another time. 
Small space for artwork

Pine decorated computer workstation

Small space for large artwork - Temple of Kom Ombo, Egypt
If I wanted, I could place the below easel on the workstation.

MEEDEN Studio Sketchbox Table Easel with Metal Lined Drawer 

And that's it. 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...