August 03, 2023

Getting motivated with watercolours

I hear it so very often, not just from amateurs and beginners like myself but also from professional artists, how after a break in painting it is so difficult to get back into it. Shirley Trevena, my favourite artist, said as much. She said she had a love hate relationship with watercolour painting, that it was often difficult for her to start a painting but when she did start she didn't want to stop.

I stopped watercolour painting for several months while I chalk painted and decorated my home's furniture, as well as garden tubs and pots and I'll post some of those at some point. I think the best way to get back into it is to steer away from trying to paint anything worthy of hanging on a wall although I find even avoiding that difficult to do.This, an abstract landscape which I shall call Houses on a Hill, was one painting done freely and for fun in a naive style. I didn't worry about colour clashes or perspective (not that I ever really do!) and just went for it.  

Houses on a Hill in Mijello Mission Gold
The brand is Mijello Mission Gold - I know of no other brand that is so in-your-face vibrant. 

My printer will take lightweight watercolour paper and I created various blank tables which I use as templates. 



Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...