August 12, 2023

Mixed Media Raspberries and Vanilla Ice Cream

I think I bit off a bit more than I could chew with these raspberries and vanilla ice cream. I took the reference photograph a couple of years ago and every time I looked at it I thought it looked like a painting so, today, I had a go in my Strathmore watercolour journal. The painting turned out better than I had hoped (I didn't think I could make even a vague representation of them) and I really did struggle with the raspberries. Funnily enough, I found the ice cream easier. 

Mixed Media Raspberries and Vanilla Ice Cream

I used Daniel Smith watercolour paint Permanent Alizarin Crimson and Buff Titanium, a Scarlet Red Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer watercolour pencil, and a Caran D'Ache 'Crimson Alizarin' Luminance waxy pencil. Oh, and a bit of Mars Black mixed with the Permanent Alizarin Crimson. 

I had watched a few YouTube videos about painting raspberries but found it would take me so long I would go off the idea before I finished. So, I penciled around the raspberry drupelets with the scarlet red, then added the permanent alizarin crimson allowing it to wake up the watercolour pencil, and then I lifted off highlights with a Billy Showell Eradicator (really good little scrubbing brush!). It was a bit of a disaster trying to create the darkness in the photograph and in the end, in true desperation, I used the Caran'D'Ache pencil to trace around areas. Whatever worked! 😂 The background is Buff Titanium 

I could have carried on, trying to get it right, but sometimes you just know you have to stop.

Raspberries and Vanilla Ice Cream


Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...