August 23, 2023

Sitting on wall of Castillo San Felipe del Morro, Puerto Rico

I have actually changed the name of my blog from Creating Art the Easy Way to Creating Art the Amateur Way because there is nothing easy about the paintings I am attempting to do. I am not accustomed to painting people, not even carrot people, and I find the skin tones difficult for a smooth transition. Of course, the fact that I am attempting it in my Strathmore watercolour journal which is not (didn't realise at the time of buying) 100% cotton, doesn't help. In fact, it is a hindrance. I doubt a cotton boll has ever got near this journal. So this is me, 1992, sitting on the wall of the fort El Morro, San Juan, Puerto Rico. You can see how streaky it is but I think it'll do. 

El Morro, San Juan, Puerto Rico
I am actually smiling in the photo although I hate being photographed. When I tried to paint a smile I looked like The Joker, so I quickly wiped that smile off my face. 😄
Me sitting on the fort wall of El Morrow, Puerto Rico, 1992
I put this painting on the page next to the one of the Spirit of St Kitts as I thought they would look good together and both photographs were taken during a Caribbean cruise of 1992. Gosh, over thirty years ago. 

I think I'll try and find an easier subject next. An abstract perhaps of nothing in particular. 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...