September 02, 2023

Autumn leaf in 'Real Stone' watercolour journal

I recently bought a new watercolour journal by SM.LT called FB-32(300) and I am pleased to say that it is excellent. It's 100% cotton, 140lb (300gsm) and seems like a cross between HP and CP. It takes a deluge of water and under that weight of water it bulged slightly (even Arches 400lb CP will bulge under so much water) rather than buckle—and then dried flat. The hard covers of the journal are advertised as Real Stone, and they certainly looks like real stone (perhaps they are a composite). 

In the journal I painted an autumn leaf from a photo taken of the Hosta 'Sagai' plant. I couldn't believe how beautiful the leaves were even in age.  It is the first time I have painted water-droplets and it was hard to do, particularly as even when wearing glasses under a bright 'Daylight' lamp my eyes aren't quite up to the job of such fine detail. I had to limit it to just a few but I think it turned out okay. 

Watercolour painting of a Hosta Sagai leaf
The leaf is painted using a limited palette of Daniel Smith's Perylene Green, Mayan Yellow, and Aussie Red Gold, with a bit of help from Faber-Castell's Albrecht Durer watercolour pencil 'Permanent Green Olive'. 
Here is the reference photo...

The journal is made in a way that the pages lie perfectly flat.


 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...