November 30, 2023

A collection of ferns in line and wash (or pen and wash)

Many years ago, when I was studying interior design, we had to be able to quickly draw objects. The idea was that if we were meeting a client, we would be able to sketch our design idea for the client to see. Anyway, I think we had to do a pencil sketch of plants so I drew a collection of ferns which was growing in and around my home. I really enjoyed doing it and the only tutor criticism that I got was that I didn't do a horizontal line to ground the subject. 

Much later, I decided to redraw that picture, turning it into a line and wash using Mission Gold watercolours and a Faber-Castell's Pitt Artist pen. And I still didn't draw a horizontal line. 🤷‍♀️I have to admit, I prefer it without the colour which I think I executed quite badly. Perhaps in greens less 'in your face' than those I chose would have been much better. 


Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...