November 12, 2023

Playful abstract with vibrant Mission Gold watercolours

I felt I needed a break from painting things which represent something and decided to play with the brightest, most in-your-face, watercolour brand that I have and that is Mijello Mission Gold. As I have said before, the Strathmore Watercolour Journal does not play nicely. I don't believe there is any cotton in it and paint skims across the surface and lifts off so readily that it is both annoying and useful. Annoying if you want to paint one colour over another, useful if you make an error or change your mind about the chosen colour. That problem manifested itself in this abstract but at least it didn't really matter. I love the vibrancy of it. 

I had thought of defining the shapes with black liner but, after playing around with the image on an editing software (Microsoft Paint), I decided it was better left alone. I had also thought about jazzing it up further with some metallic paints that I have but, again, thought better of it. 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...