November 25, 2023

Tiger face using Coliro metallics on Stonehenge 600gsm black paper

Once more I dove into the deep end with this painting. I traced the tiger's face using an online 'free' photo and I did it with pencil because I knew that the graphite would shine on the black paper surface but I made a big mistake. In my enthusiasm and desire to ensure the tracing showed up I pressed too hard and, instead of carefully going around the traced lines, I went at it like a mad woman. The result was that the pencil transferred to the black paper alright but I ended up with a mass of shallow grooves in the paper. I could hardly see which was what. Anyway, I persevered and eventually gave up with the tracing and grooves and made my own way by guesswork and eyeballing. 

Another issue which I knew would happen was the limitation of the colours of metallic watercolours that I have and I wasn't about to order a load more.  You can't shade and glaze like you can with watercolours, or at least I can't, because metallic paint lifts off with the touch of a wet brush. Nevertheless, there is a degree of blending to be had. 

The next time I try this kind of artwork, I will test a white crayon for tracing. If it transfers all will be well because metallic paints are opaque and so will easily cover any lines. 

Tiger on Stonehenge paper using Coliro metallic paints



Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...