January 17, 2024

Spider on web in watercolour and metallics

This was a steep learning curve for me. I used a macro photograph of a spider on its web, which I took some years ago, for the reference photo. The web was actually on a large fern in my garden and on it are the spider, raindrops, and the golden sporangia from the fern itself which look like jewels in the photograph. 

Unfortunately, I thought the best idea would be to create the raindrops by using masking fluid and then painting the background but that was a seriously bad idea. I found, once I had painted the background, that the areas protected by the masking fluid weren't round enough. I decided to use Coliro metallic 'Silver' to cover where the masking fluid had been and it still looked bad. I wanted to make the water droplets glitter. I also wanted the web to glitter as well so I used a 'Uni-ball Signo UM-120SP Gold Glitter gel ink Rollerball pen - at least that worked out! 

Sorry to say that the glitter does not show in the iPhone πŸ™„photo. 

In desperation, I applied black ink on parts of the drops to try and make them look like drops (because my eyesight isn't good enough for me to try and do it with watercolour) and on and on it went. I gave up in the end. The spider was easy though. πŸ˜„

The painting was done in my Real Stone Journal using Roman Szmal watercolours as well as Faber Castell Pitt Artist pen. The sporangium was a mishmash of watercolours. 

My macro photograph which I used for reference. My painting does not do it justice. πŸ˜”

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...