February 14, 2024

Faux granite urn

As we all know, art isn't just applying watercolour, oil, or acrylic to a canvas. A couple of years ago I got chalk-paint madness and I decorated every single piece of furniture in my home with it, as well as ornaments and lamps. I even decorated garden pots with it.

This is a Mexican clay urn which developed a huge crack in it. Reluctantly, I made the decision to paint it and I'm glad I did. 


First I sealed the crack in the urn with polyfilla and added a layer on the base so that it was stable when stood upright and no longer supported by the original stand. When that had set I covered the entire pot with Annie Sloan 'Old White'.  While still wet, I took a small sea sponge and dunked it alternately in Annie Sloan 'Graphite' and Hemway 'Pastel Blue' and kept on dabbing the white with the dark grey and blue until I got the desired effect. When finished and the chalk paint was dry, I went over it with a protective layer of Annie Sloan 'Clear Wax' and that was that. 

I stuck some artificial flowers (peonies, eucalyptus/rose garland) that I bought online and arranged them so they cascaded.  




Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...