December 07, 2023

Fox and Snowdrop in watercolour / mixed media

I thought I would try a winter scene, something I don't think I have ever done, and for the subject I chose a fox looking at a snowdrop poking its head above the snow. Although I started off with it being total watercolour, it didn't quite end that way. 

I used Arches 300lb cold press for this so I could use plenty of water for the sky without the paper buckling. The sky was Schmincke Horadam Supergranulated 'Galaxy Black'. The red of the fox was Daniel Smith's Quinacridone Gold and Quinacridone Deep Gold. For the snow I used Schmincke Horadam white gouache. The darker browns were a mix of Schmincke Horadam orange and browns until I was reasonably happy. To create the snow on the fox's body I used a Jackson's 'Silverline' Series 982 3/4 comb brush. Around the fox's eye and for the snowdrop green I used a Caran d'Ache 'Luminance' pencil and for the flower petals I used a Coliro metallic 'Sterling Silver' so it would pop. 

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...