February 27, 2024

Decorating a china vase with chalk paint and leaves of metallic gold colour

A while ago I covered a pair of flowery china vases with a rough texture Ronseal 'smooth finish filla' and then painted them with Annie Sloan 'Graphite' chalk paint.  Yesterday, I decided to apply Annie Sloan gold leaf to them. I daubed the vases with 'Gold Size' and when that dried I applied the gold leaf (they are brass actually) onto the size. I protected them with clear wax. I rather like the result. 



Disaster befell me a week or so ago when the plastic tap-in wall hooks which held up all my art frames began to crash spontaneously to the floor. They had been in place for a year or two and suddenly the hook parts began to snap off!  I had to take all my paintings down, to be safe, and rethink the situation. Certainly I will not be using those wall hooks again, at least not for frames with glass in them! 


While they were down, I decided to paint a lot of the frames black. That brought about the decision to decorate the vases black and gold. See? 😐

Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...