December 05, 2023

Dragon painting with metallics on mulberry paper

I painted this dragon quite a few years ago now. It's a small, experimental, painting using Coliro metallic paints on a good quality mulberry paper which I had glued around the edges to good quality cold press paper. I used Pritt Stick glue for that. I wanted to know if I could paint on the mulberry paper and it was tricky, the mulberry paper losing strength with the liquid metallics but it was supported to a great degree by the backing. I had to be careful but it was so effective. The only thing I don't like about it are the flames coming out of the dragon's mouth. I should have done a single column of fire fanning out like it would from a flame-thrower.

The mulberry paper I bought online came in a package of many coloured textured sheets. I was looking for a demo of someone painting mulberry paper to share with you and I came up with a video on the YouTube channel: 'Oriental Art Supply'. I note the artist has affixed her mulberry paper to a card backing. I've put a link to the video on the External Links page





Koi Carp and lily pads in a journal

I am trying so hard to get back into painting and instead of just relaxing and splashing about, I keep trying to do something worthy of hang...